Migration Advice

Australian Visas

Regardless of the purpose of your trip, you will need to find the appropriate visa. Australia offers a diverse range of visas, each designed to cater to different needs – whether you’re planning a short holiday, seeking to work, study, or planning to call Australia home.

From Visitor visas for those wishing to experience the diverse landscapes and vibrant cities, to Work visas for those seeking opportunities in Australia’s thriving industries, and Student visas for those aiming to benefit from Australia’s world-class education system – the Australian visa system is comprehensive and inclusive.

For permanent residents, the Resident Return Visa ensures your ability to travel to and from Australia. And for those seeking to make Australia their new home, various Family and Partner visas are available.

Each visa has its own set of criteria and application process, and that’s where I come in to help you find your pathway to Australia.

Visa Categories Visa Categories

Resident Return Visas

Resident Return Visas allow Australian permanent residents and some former Australian permanent residents to travel to Australia.

Permanent residents leaving Australia for extended period of times can lose their visa status. For this reason it is crucial for every permanent visa holder to understand RRVs and the limitations they bring to their permanent residency.

There are two types of RRV’s. For which you can qualify after extensive period offshore will depend on your circumstances such as the ties you maintained with Australia or the reasons for your absence

Visas include (but are not limited to):

  • Resident Return Visa: subclass 155 (valid for either 12 months or 5 years)
  • Resident Return Visa: subclass 157 (valid for up to 3 months)

Partner Visas

These visas are designed to either bring your partner to Australia or enable your partner to stay in Australia. This includes married or unmarried couples as well as members of the LGBTQ+ community.

In most cases partner visas are granted in two stages. Initially the applicant will receive a provisional visa. Two years after the initial application the application is then re-assessed for the permanent stage.

An exception here is the fiancé visa, which introduces a third step in the process. It is a temporary visa, designed to bring your partner to Australia for your wedding. Your partner will then stay in Australia and move on to the partner visa process as outlined above.

  • Partner (onshore): subclass 820/80
  • Partner (offshore: subclass 309/100
  • Fiance (offshore): subclass 300

Skilled Visas

The Australian skilled migration program has been designed to enable qualified professionals and trade persons to apply for permanent or temporary residency in Australia. It is crucial to have solid English language skills and (in most cases) formal qualifications and work experience.

Occupations sought after are: a variety of trade occupations, ICT professionals, engineers, and health professionals.

Skilled Visa classes include (but are not limited to):

  • Skilled Independent Visa: subclass 189
  • Skilled State Nominated Visa: subclass 190
  • Temporary Graduate Visa: subclass 485
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa: subclass 491

Employment Sponsored Visa

This visa program consists of a range of temporary as well as permanent visa options. Common criteria for all these visas is a suitable employer, who is able to sponsor you.

Visas include (but are not limited to):

  • Employer Nomination Scheme: subclass 186
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) visa: subclass 494
  • Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa: subclass 482

Visitor Visa

Visitor visas can be granted for a variety of reasons: holidays, family visits or business visits. Depending on the circumstances, visitor visas can be granted for short trips or stays up to 12 months.

Visas include (but are not limited to):

  • Visitor: subclass 600
  • Working Holiday: subclass 417
  • Work and Holiday: subclass 462

Parent Visa

Parent visas are designed to allow Australian citizens or settled permanent residents to bring their parents to Australia. Typically, the stay is only temporary, but there are a few permanent options as well.

Visas include (but are not limited to):

  • Contributory Parent Visa: subclasses 173 or 143
  • Contributory Aged Parent Visa: subclass 884
  • Sponsored Parent (Temporar) visa: subclass 870
Scroll to Top